:: Tutoring for Adults
Become a Better Reader!
If you or someone you know would like to learn to read, write, or spell better, call the Santa Barbara Public Library Adult Literacy Program at (805) 564-5619. A trained tutor will provide confidential one-on-one tutoring in reading, writing and spelling skills.
Adults are eligible for literacy tutoring if they:
- Are 16 or older;
- Are able to hold a conversation, such as an intake interview, in English;
- Are not enrolled in a degree program; and
- Are able to work with a tutor 2 or 3 hours per week.
Participating in the Adult Literacy program, you will:
- Get free and confidential tutoring in reading, writing and spelling;
- Work one-on-one with a tutor; and
- Meet at a time and place convenient for both of you.
If you think you might be interested in being tutored or know someone who might benefit from this service, please call Adult Literacy Coordinator Beverly Schwartzberg at (805) 564-5619 and leave a message with your name, address, and telephone number and an indication of the most convenient time to call you.
Become an Adult Literacy Volunteer!
Make a difference in someone’s life…join the Santa Barbara Public Library’s Adult Literacy Program. The program trains volunteer tutors to help adult learners improve reading, writing and spelling skills. There are a few requirements. You must:
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Read and speak English proficiently;
- Complete a 9-hour workshop; and
- Have 2 to 4 hours per week to devote to the program.
Tutors and learners meet once or twice a week at a place and time convenient for both. The tutoring may take place in any public location such as a Library branch, coffee shop, a senior center, a community center, etc.
Click Here for the latest adult literacy newsletter!
Click here to view the June 14, 2012, workshop on Pronunciation with instructor Bonnie Blakley.
To receive the handouts from the workshop, email bschwartzberg@SantaBarbaraCA.gov
Basic Literacy Tutor-Training Workshops
Training is offered multiple times per year, and online training is also available. The nine-hour workshop prepares participants to help English-speaking adults improve their reading, writing, and spelling. Once you have been matched with a learner, on-going assistance on specific teaching or learning issues is available.
Saturdays, January 11 & 25
1:00pm to 5:30pm
Townley Room, Central Library
40 E. Anapamu St.
(must attend both sessions)
Click here for printable flyer
If you might be interested in becoming an Adult Literacy Program tutor, please contact Adult Literacy Coordinator Beverly Schwartzberg at firstname.lastname@example.org OR
(805) 564-5619 and leave a message with your name, address, telephone number, and an indication of the most convenient time to call you.