Getting a Library Card
Please note: Library applications must be submitted in person.
Acceptable forms of personal identification are:
With valid personal ID and address verification, a borrower’s card with full privileges will be issued to you immediately.
Acceptable forms of address verification include:
- U.S. State issued Driver’s License or Identification card
- Military ID
- Resident Alien Card
- Matricula Consular
- EU Identification Card
- Imprinted check with name and address
- Utility Bill
- Rent Receipt
- Bank Statement
If you do not have verification of your current mailing address, please come into any branch library to obtain an official proof of address postcard. Once you have received this official SBPL postcard in the mail, you may obtain a library card with full borrowing privileges.
- If you do not have acceptable proof of address, you may obtain an “Internet Only” library card.
- Internet Only library cards require valid picture ID and are issued for the sole purpose of accessing public computers within the library. There are no borrowing privileges associated with the Internet Only card.
- Internet Only Library cards may be obtained by showing personal ID which includes:
To receive a Teen card, you must be between 13 through 17 years of age.
You are required to provide the name and address of a legal guardian.
To receive a Juvenile card, you must be 12 years of age or younger.
Your parent or legal guardian is required to show identification and proof of mailing address.
You are required to provide the name and signature of a legal guardian on your application, even when replacing a lost card.
While using services of the Santa Barbara Public Library System please be aware of these regulations:
You are responsible for all materials checked out on your card, and for all charges and fees made to your account;
An extended loan fee will be charged for material returned past the due date;
In order to prevent improper use, Library staff should be notified immediately if your card is lost or stolen;
Library staff should be notified promptly of change of name or address;
Library cards are not transferable.
Click here to print out a library card application
(Must be present to receive library card)
Solicitud para Tarjeta de Biblioteca
(Usted debe de estar presente para recibir su tarjeta de la biblioteca)